female contractor

Contractor Requirements for Tennessee

Starting in 2022, any of these licenses that were issued after January 1, 2009 must complete eight hours of Residential Continuing Education (RCE) . These must be completed 30 days prior to their expiration date.

Types of Tennessee Contractors

The state of Tennessee classifies residential contractors in these primary ways, though there are certain possible specialty or combination designations as well:

  • BC-A (Residential): These are residential building contractors whose services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair or improvement of up to four family unit residences no taller than three stories in height.
  • BC-A/r (Limited Residential): In lieu of the residential building trade exam, contractors can take an approved course from a state community college and obtain the BC-A/r classification. Such contractors are authorized to bid on any contract for construction, remodel, repair or improvement of a single family dwelling, with a monetary limit assigned of no greater than $125,000. This license is somewhat restricted.
  • BC-B (Commercial): This license allows a contractor to bid on structures that are occupied by the general public, including residential construction with more than four units or greater than three stories in height.
  • BC-b(sm) (Small Commercial): This contractor is similar to the Commercial license, but with a total cost limit of $1,500,000.
  • BC-C (Industrial): Contractors under this classification can bid on contractors for buildings and structures used in industrial productions and services.

Residential Continuing Education Requirements

Tennessee bases its continuing education requirements for contractors on the issue month. 

  • Only Residential Contractors with BC-A, BC-A/r, Spec Homebuilders, and BC-A (Residential Restricted)
  • Any of these licenses that were issued after 1/1/2009 must complete eight (8)  hours of Regular Continuing Education (RCE)

contractors are required to complete continuing education. Starting in 2022, any of these licenses that were issued after January 1, 2009 must complete eight hours of RCE (the term used by the state for these hours). These must be completed 30 days prior to their expiration date.

For this RCE, the Qualifying Agent (QA) designated on the contractor’s license is the only one who may obtain the hours. The QA is the person who passed the residential trade exam – if more than one person passed this exam only one of them is required to obtain proper RCE.

Requirements for Commercial Contractors

Those with BC-B, BC-b and BC-C classifications, on the other hand, do not require continuing education hours for license renewal. The exception here: If someone with a BC-B or BC-b classification also has a residential classification such as BC-A as part of their license (this may be present in the BC-A,b(sm) combination). In this case, this contractor will have to follow the same rules as all other Residential Contractors, which we went over above.

Will I Get Documentation When I Complete my quickED Classes?

Flynn’s quickED will provide you with a certificate of completion for each course you take with us.

If you have not retained proof of course completion and the board audits your license, your license could be revoked, and you may face disciplinary action.

Tennessee Contractor License Renewal

Certified CE Courses through our partner, 
the Flynn’s quickED! Enroll today!

Flynn's quickED Helps You Meet Requirements

Not every continuing education course for contractors in Tennessee meets the Board's requirements. Flynn's quickED is an approved provider of contractor continuing education courses in Tennessee. Sign up online today or contact us for more information.

man building a house
Flynn's QuickEd logo

Contact Info

Utah Campus
Georgia Campus
Tennessee Campus